Monday, May 23, 2011

Attempt 1: easy, boy-friendly food

Jessica,

Holy Moly it's the Middle of MAY!!! Also, what the heck is up with this weather? Rain, so confused.... At least you get to wear your puddle jumpers!  I love the crafts too. Gray wolfe....so funny!

So, as you know, this weekend way Bay to Breakers in the city (which you were sorely missed at!).  We started the morning with bagels, mimosas, and Pimm's Cup (Kevin's new favorite drink. SO good and surprisingly easy to drink at 9 am).  We walked down to the race in costume and played in the streets for awhile and then headed over to a BBQ at Paul's (I made these potato skins and ranch from Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys which I'm hoping were good, but don't necessarily remember eating....).  We proceeded to go home and pass out, but woke up a couple hours later, ravenous.  Same routine every year, and I usually struggle to figure out how to get Thai food delivered only to have to wait HOURS to get it.  I finally learned my lesson and had some deliciousness cooking up all the while we were out and about! I put on this spicy, Dr. Pepper (yes, the soda) pork in the slow cooker the night before and it was all ready when we stumbled back to the house (hour unknown).  I passed out, but Jake was all over it.  He shredded the pork and reduced the cooking liquid to a thick sauce.  His idea was to toss it with pasta and steamed broccoli (which I ate), but I preferred the taco assembly better when I had the energy the next day.



Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork
adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks!

The recipe calls for a whole pork butt (which is the shoulder, actually. I know, so weird.), but I was making it in my slow cooker which is far too small for the whole thing.  I cut the butt approximately in half, maneuvering around the bone.  I threw the half I wasn't using in the freezer for another adventure.  You could try to get another cut, or any other part that would be good slow-cooked.

Pork roast (see note, above)
2 pint glasses Dr. Pepper
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (Mexican food section)
Half a red onion, cut in wedges
Tortillas & toppings, if going that route

Place red onion wedges at the bottom of the slow cooker.  Pat dry the hunk of meat and season well with salt and pepper.  Place the meat on top of the onions.  Pour the soda pop, chilies, and sauce over the meat.  Spoon in the brown sugar and give a little stir to mix it in the soda.  Cover and cook on low or hot, depending on your time frame.  It's ready when the meat will easily shred with a fork.

Pull out the meat and shred, removing any bones or chunks of fat.  Skim any fat off the top of the liquid while it is still in the slow cooker.  Transfer liquid to a saucepan and boil until the consistency of bbq sauce.  Mix meat back into the sauce & go to town!

Two potential issues immediately come to mind when I try to think of you cooking this for a boy. First, I can't recall if you have a slow cooker, but if not, I'm sure you could borrow one (JP has one). Secondly, you are going to have to touch raw meat.  Not for a long time, but it's going to have to happen.  Would wearing gloves make you feel better about it? But actually, I don't really want you to drop it....so I think you're just going to have to buck up and grab that hunk of pork! Plus then you get to chow down on these delicious babies!

love,
rachael

p.s. get excited for serious bbq this weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment