Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MAKE THESE IMMEDIATELY!

Jessica,

FIRST-  I had the best time this weekend. Ridiculous T-shirts, stomp rockets, beer cozies, and a roasted pig?! No weekend will ever live up to it....

SECOND- Make these muffins! Seriously, they are so good! I like to make muffins or some type of loaf every week so I have something to munch on for breakfast while I'm walking the pup.

Ugh, how badly do I need a new muffin pan! Gross! I think I want to get one of the jumbo ones. Like, who could eat just one of these.....

I was a little worried how they were going to turn out because the texture was a little funny (like foamy a little bit) and I'm bad at following instructions.  But they puffed up nicely and disappeared in less days then I had planned (AHEM boy roommates....) So yummy and lemony with a nice crunch from the millet.  Sort of remind me of cornbread, in a good way.

Yogurt Millet Muffins
adapted from 101 Cookbooks

2 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup millet
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup/1 stick butter- melted & cooled
1/4 cup honey*
3 tbsp. brown sugar*
Zest and juice of 1 lemon

Whisk together flour, millet, bp and salt in a large bowl.  In another bowl, whisk eggs then add yogurt, butter, honey, brown sugar (if using), lemon juice and zest.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.  Try not to over-mix as it will cause the muffins to be more dense. Pour batter into muffin tin, either greased or with paper liners.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees (F) until the tops are slightly browned.  Let them cool on a wire rack (or devour immediately, depending on your self-control...)

*The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of honey and no brown sugar.  I only had 1/4 of honey, so I used that and substituted brown sugar for the rest.  I also added a splash of milk since the batter seemed a little dry, but I don't think that was necessary.  The muffins came out tasting very much like honey, so I feel like 1/2 cup might be a little overboard for my tastes. Let me know what you think if you use all honey!

Loveyou/missyou/rachael!

No comments:

Post a Comment